See the full list of languages.
What is Python?
Python is a high-level, general-purpose programming language. Here is some brief information about Python:
- Python is open source.
- Python is free and on multiple platforms.
- Python is easy to pick up (a great beginner programming language).
- Thousands of online tutorials on Python are available.
- Python has many third-party applications.
- It supports different types of programming such as object-oriented, structured, and functional programming.
- Python is updated often.
- Python is an interpreted programming language.
History of Python
Guido van Rossum released Python on February 20, 1991. Contrary to common belief, Python is named after an old comedy show called Monty Python's Flying Circus, not after the type of snake. Python 2.0 was released in October 2000, and Python 3.0 was released in December 2008. In the time in which this was written, Python is currently in 3.11.0.
Principles of Python
The Zen of Python
- Beautiful is better than ugly.
- Explicit is better than implicit.
- Simple is better than complex.
- Complex is better than complicated.
- Flat is better than nested.
- Sparse is better than dense.
- Readability counts.
- Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
- Although practicality beats purity.
- Errors should never pass silently.
- Unless explicitly silenced.
- In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
- There should be one—and preferably only one—obvious way to do it.
- Although that way might not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.
- Now is better than never.
- Although never is often better than right now.
- If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
- If the implementation is easy to explain, it might be a good idea.
- Namespaces are one honking great idea—let's do more of those!
You can see this by:
Pros of Python
- Python is very easy to learn and is a great learning tool.
- You can use Python to branch off to other languages.
- It has many use cases.
- Web development (Flask)
- Game development (pygame)
- Bot development (discord.py)
Cons of Python
- Python is slower than other programming languages.
* Discord.py * Pycord